Sunday 25 May 2014

Quick & cheap Curtains

I have wanted new curtains in my bedroom for 2 years and 4 months, its so precise as i brought a few new chintzy, vintage flowery bedspreads at Christmas to replace the drab black sets that i had brought when they were en vogue and regretted ever since. A few months later i had removed the black paper on the wall behind my bed and replaced it with a cool white in preparation for my pink girly room to be. But that was where it stopped and i have just never got round to sorting it out and to be honest its ready for a new coat of paint ( like all the bedrooms).

I can never find curtains that i like and to have them made can be very costly so here is my tip for cheap, quick and easy curtains.

King size quilt!

They are cheap and you  get a lot more choice than ready made curtains. I have made many pairs of curtains over the years from quilt covers mainly for the kids using character bed spreads.
I picked this one up from Homebargains for £12.99

Now to make them
First take down the old curtains and carefully remove the curtain runner and also the lining if you wish to use this to line your curtains.
Spread your sheet out and place the old curtains on top as a measurement guide and cut them out  remembering to leave a few inches extra around the sides for hemming. I have decided to make mine longer this time so i measured out and cut accordingly. I didn't cut and open the sheet out i kept it doubled up .
Iron out the creases
Pin the hem you can iron it if you like to make sewing easier
Sew up all the hems remembering to finish the corners neatly

Sew on the curtain runner that should be a perfect fit and add the hooks


Ta dah my new curtains that i made between two of baby Alex's feeds! I love them and think i will have to buy another quilt cover to use as a quilt cover.

I also had quite a bit of fabic left and knew just what i would do with it
Cover my old seat covers for my wicker garden chairs

Picture looks a bit green but they look good in real life and i am happy with them so basically a pair of curtains and four seat covers for £12.99 Bargain!

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment